Tuesday 16 March 2010

Give Up On The Guesswork

I finally got my hands on a copy of 'Rework' this week, the new book by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson of 37signals, that I've talked about on this blog before. On Saturday at SXSW, Jason gave a great little talk about the themes in the book; I went and said hi afterwards, telling him about 'Unplan Your Business'. I took some time out yesterday afternoon to get out of the convention center and dive into the book; here's an extract from the chapter 'Planning Is Guessing':
"Give up on the guesswork. Decide what you're going to do this week, not this year. Figure out the nest most important thing and do that. Make decisions right before you do something, not far in advance. It's OK to wing it..... Working without a plan may seem scary. But blindly following a plan that has no relationship with reality is even scarier".

No comments:

Post a Comment